Wednesday, November 02, 2005

It Rained That Day

The smell of fresh earth hit me as soon as I stepped onto my balcony that morning.

It was raining after a prolonged period of hot and humid weather and I pulled my chair closer to the railing to enjoy the raindrops with my morning brew. Rainy days always hold a special corner in my heart as they have the power to stir my creative soul and take my mind to un-explored horizons.

I had almost reached the boundaries of space when my reverie was suddenly broken by a (feminine) "excuse me please".

It was her.

I had seen her several times in her flat right across mine. Many a time we had exchanged coy smiles but never had we spoken to each other. I would often see her drive off on her scooter balancing a huge pile of books and wondered where she went- College? Tuition? Library? Sometimes in the evenings I would see her sneaking out of her house to speak on her cell phone? A heartthrob? College Gossip? I had always wanted to speak to her but never could pluck up enough courage to do so.

And here she was, today, calling out to me.

"It's my Scooty. Could you please park it inside the garage for me?"

The Quixote in me immediately responded to the damsel in distress. Not caring for the heavy downpour I rushed to her scooter’s rescue. At last I had the chance of getting introduced to her...of talking to her …..of knowing her better. And who knows, maybe she would call me in for a cup of coffee - after all I was the rescuer of her beloved scooty. My imagination -already on overdrive thanks to the rain- started playing all the romantic rain scenes from Hollywood and Bollywood in '70mm cinemascope digital dolby'.

I parked her scooter safely and extended my arm to return the keys. Her fingers brushed against mine and I looked into her rain splattered face. Her innocent eyes and coy smile took away both my breath and the lines of introduction that I had thought of in the interim.

She brushed aside her hair, smiled and said "Thank You Bhaiyya".

CRASH!!!

At first I thought it was the scooter.... but soon realized that it was me falling flat on terra firma.

I retreated to my verandah with a weak "Anytime".

I went back to my (now cold) cup of coffee and mind travel.....sigh!!! One more love story that got nipped in the bud.

And yes...It Rained(heavily)That Day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tridib said...

Good one! Enjoyed it a lot! Subah, subah jab khirki khole, bajuwali ladki kyun bole, "hello, bhaiya, hello how are you!"

11:15 AM  
Blogger acidrocks said...

good one !!! the crash should have been pretty loud as i heard it all the way here !!!!

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home